Congratulations to the winners of our 2023 GENE Awards, celebrating excellence in life sciences.
We are thrilled to see our members getting the recognition they deserve from their institutions and from the mainstream media.
The GENE Awards were featured in the Courier Mail’s City Beat column, and many of our member universities have been telling the stories of the science behind their researchers' successes.
We were delighted to receive nominations from right around the state, representing all stages of the research journey, from discovery to translation, through to commercialisation and biomanufacturing.
From a very talented field of finalists, our winners are:
- Dr Sonia Shah from UQ Institute for Molecular Bioscience – Rose-Anne Kelso Commemorative Award, created by LSQ and Stockwell in memory of Rose-Anne Kelso
- Vicebio, a UniQuest start up – Radium Capital Emerging Innovator Award
- Professor Gavin Ash from the University of Southern Queensland – Merck Life Science Rural and Regional Service Award
- Professor Sabina Knight AM, from James Cook University – QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute Woman of Influence Award. Who took her trophy on 3 flights and managed to bring it home safely to North West Queensland.
- Associate Professor Mark Smythe from Infensa Bioscience – McCullough Robertson Industry Excellence Award
- Vaxxas – Silverstone Developments Company of the Year Award
Thank you to all our winners and finalists for showcasing the innovative and important work being done in Queensland’s life sciences sector, and thank you to our wonderful sponsors: we couldn't do it without you.