Life Sciences Queensland Limited (LSQ) recognises that your privacy is very important to you. LSQ is committed to protecting your personal information and complies with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act), Australian Privacy Principles and registered codes that govern the way in which we must manage your personal information.
Collection of personal and other information
LSQ collects both personal information and anonymous information. We may collect and hold personal information about you, that is, information that can identify you and is relevant to providing you with the services you are seeking. The kinds of information we typically collect include name, contact details including phone number and address. We also collect information relating to dealings with us, and interests and preferences in relation to our services and events and/or other information relevant to providing you with the services you, or someone else you know, is seeking.
Method of collection
Personal information will generally be collected directly from you through the use of any of our standard forms, over the internet (including online surveys), via email, or through a telephone conversation with you. We may also collect personal information about you from publicly available records, directories, information brokers and other third parties.
There may, however, be some instances where personal information about you will be collected indirectly because it is unreasonable or impractical to collect personal information directly from you. We will usually notify you about these instances in advance, or where that is not possible, as soon as reasonably practicable after the information has been collected.
Your participation in any surveys will be on an anonymous basis and your answers will not be linked to you in any way, except where you consent to provide relevant contact information for purposes specifically stated within the survey, such as the offer of a prize or free product/service trial. If you express interest in any offer presented to you by LSQ and its associated entities, relevant contact information will be used solely for the purpose of fulfilling the offer. Subsequent use of any personal information will be subject to the Terms and Conditions associated with the specific provision of that product/service.
Purpose of collection
The personal information that we collect and hold about you, depends on your interaction with us. Generally, we collect, use and hold personal information about you for the purpose of:
- responding to your queries, communicating with you and maintaining our relationship with you;
- enabling you to access and use information and publications on our website;
- providing services and products to you or someone else you know;
- collecting payments from you and providing you with invoices for products and services that you have purchased from us;
- providing you with communications in relation to other Members of LSQ, or products or services offered by those Members;
- providing you with personalised information about other services and products that we offer that may be of interest to you;
- providing you with information and the opportunity to attend seminars and events that may be of interest to you;
- facilitating our internal business operations, including the fulfilment of any legal requirements;
- compiling a database of information;
- conducting research for our own internal marketing purposes, including the use of anonymous information to develop our marketing campaigns;
- partnering with third party organisations in order to present to you products or services we believe may be of interest or benefit to you;
- analysing our services, products and customer needs with a view to improving those services and products; and
- dealing with enquiries or complaints.
Failure to provide information
If the personal information you provide to us incomplete or inaccurate, we may be unable to provide you, or someone else you know, with the services or products you, or they, are seeking.
Use and disclosure of personal information
Generally, we only use or disclose personal information about you for the purposes for which it was collected (as set out above). We may disclose personal information about you to:
- our related entities to facilitate our and their internal business processes;
- our related entities and other organisations with whom we have affiliations so that those organisations may provide you with information about services, products and various promotions.
In some circumstances, the law may permit or require us to use or disclose personal information for other purposes (for instance where you would reasonably expect us to and the purpose is related to the purpose of collection).
All communications to you will contain suitable links to enable you to opt out of further communications, or you can email LSQ on email@example.com.
LSQ will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to keep secure any information that it possesses about you and your organisation from misuse, loss, interference, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, including electronic and physical security measures. LSQ encourages you to play an important role in keeping your personal information secure, by maintaining the confidentiality of any passwords and account details used on websites. It is your sole responsibility to maintain such confidentiality and LSQ will not be liable for any damage, loss or expense suffered due to such disclosure.
Access and correction
If you wish to seek access personal information we hold about you, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org. We request that you provide us with as much detail as possible about the particular information sought in order to help us retrieve it. We will respond to your request within a reasonable period. We may charge you a reasonable fee for providing access to your personal information (but not for making a request for access).
In certain circumstances prescribed by the Privacy Act, we may not be required by law to provide access personal information. If that is the case, we will give you our written reasons for that decision (unless it would be unreasonable to provide those reasons).
We take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If, upon receiving access to your personal information or at any other time, you believe the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, please notify us immediately. We will take reasonable steps to correct the information so that it is accurate, complete and up to date.
If we refuse to correct your personal information, we will provide you with a written notice that sets out the reasons for our refusal (unless it would be unreasonable to provide those reasons), including details of the mechanisms available to you to make a complaint.
Cross-border data transfers
Our third party service providers, including our website-hosting provider, may disclose your personal information to overseas recipients. By giving us your personal information you are agreeing that your personal information may be disclosed overseas, and that APP 8.1 will not apply to that disclosure and you agree that we do not have to take reasonable steps to ensure the information is treated in accordance with the Privacy Act. In addition, personal information that you knowingly submit for publication on any of LSQ’s websites or digital publications may be published on the internet and may be available around the world.
Contact Us Questions or Complaints
We will endeavour to:
- provide an initial response to your query or complaint within 48 hours; and
- resolve your query or complaint within 14 days.
If you are still not satisfied with our response, you can contact the Australian I Commissioner (see http://www.oaic.gov.au/about/contact.html or call 1300 363 992).
For more information about privacy in general, you can visit the federal Information Commissioner’s website at www.oaic.gov.au.